Associate Immersion Program
Avalere Health (www.avalere.com), a Fishawack company, is seeking qualified, entry-level candidates to join our Associate Immersion Program in July 2023.
Avalere’s Associate Immersion Program is a challenging, highly selective program in which participants will engage in project work that spans a variety of Avalere’s practice areas. Our Associate position is specifically tailored toward recent graduates or candidates with limited work experience.
During the program, participants will gain a wealth of hands-on healthcare consulting experience while honing their research, writing, and project management skills. Associates will regularly participate in content and Avalere-specific trainings, while receiving informal mentorship and career guidance. After successful completion of the Program, participants will transition to an internal practice area in which to specialize and grow.
Applicants at the associate level will have completed or be about to complete an undergraduate or graduate degree in public health, public policy, public administration, business, statistics, economics, mathematics, or other related fields. Applicants with concentrations in other disciplines requiring strong quantitative and analytical skills, who have an interest in healthcare, public policy, and business, are also encouraged to apply. Our Associate position is specifically tailored toward recent graduates or candidates with limited work experience.
This is an onsite position in our Washington DC office.
Role & Responsibilities:
- Conduct qualitative and quantitative research on a diverse array of healthcare issues (e.g., key informant interviews, white and grey literature searches)
- Contribute to written summaries, white papers, and PowerPoint presentations to provide strategic recommendations to clients
- Begin to develop content expertise on a range of key healthcare issues
- Attend and draft summaries on government healthcare meetings
- Work in cross-functional teams to contribute to the development and delivery of projects
- Juggle project work with multiple managers, across various teams
- Provide basic project management support, including preparation of meeting materials and background information
- Participate in Avalere’s extensive training program throughout the duration of the program
- Have completed or be about to complete an undergraduate or graduate degree in public health, public policy, public administration, business, statistics, economics, mathematics, or other related fields. Applicants with concentrations in other disciplines requiring strong quantitative and analytical skills, who have an interest in healthcare, public policy, and business, are also encouraged to apply.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong analytical, problem solving, and quantitative skills
- Ability to perform basic research in varied formats
- Basic presentation and public speaking skills
- Eagerness to learn complex issues related to the healthcare delivery system
- Previous experience working as a team member on multifaceted projects and meeting deadlines
- A positive, professional, and solution-oriented attitude
- Strong organizational skills and ability to multitask
- High level of initiative and commitment to excellence
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Basic understanding of the consulting environment
Skills Highly Desired but not Required
- Intermediate to advanced Excel skills
All applications should be submitted through the Careers section of our website by Friday, November 11,, 2022.
Avalere’s Talent Acquisition Team will begin reviewing applications and conducting phone interviews on a rolling basis through end of November 2022. Second round interviews will take place in December 2022. Should you be selected for an initial interview, you will be contacted via email. Only complete applications by the deadline date will be considered.
Applicants must be authorized to work for any employer in the US. We are unable to sponsor or take over sponsorship of employment Visa at this time.
How to Apply
All applications should be submitted through the Careers section of our website by November 11, 2022.
- Cover letter
- College transcript (undergraduate and graduate, if applicable and unofficial transcripts will be accepted)
- Avalere’s Associate Recruitment Case Study
- Only complete applications by the deadline date will be considered. As a reminder, a full application includes a cover letter, résumé, college transcript(s), and answer one case study question listed below.
Thank you for your interest in Avalere Health’s Associate Immersion Program. In an effort to assess your writing skills and provide you with an opportunity to understand the type of work that our Associates perform on behalf of our clients, please read and select one of the Case Study prompts below.
Some points to consider:
- Additional research may be required and is encouraged.
- Cite your sources as necessary.
- Include your name, email address, and prompt number on your Case Study submission.
- Responses should be written in a clear and concise manner.
Case Study Prompt Options
Select only one prompt and limit response to 750 (excluding citations) words.
Question 1: The Biden Administration has placed considerable focus on addressing health disparities and advancing health equity. Please describe 2 equity-focused policy initiatives that an administrative agency (e.g., the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, Food and Drug Administration, etc.) has proposed or implemented to target specific health disparities. Please limit your answer to 375 words.
Question 2: Using your answer to Question 1, choose one policy initiative and describe the implications to a stakeholder in the healthcare market sector (e.g., pharmaceutical companies, health plans, or hospitals and health systems). Please limit your answer to 375 words.
Cell and gene therapies are a revolutionary advancement in medicine that have the potential to impact multiple therapeutic areas. Choose two of the three following stakeholder groups – pharmaceutical companies, health plans, and consumers - and describe the challenges and opportunities that these innovative therapies present to those stakeholders.
The Food and Drug Administration regularly approves new drug therapies, which change the competitive landscape with new market entrants. Please select a recently approved therapy and summarize the treatment’s key characteristics. Using peer-reviewed published literature and/or a repository of randomized trials, please provide a short summary of the approved indications, mechanism of action, and clinical efficacy.
Avalere prizes intellectual curiosity, creativity, and flexibility. Candidates who demonstrate a high degree of ownership of their work and possess excellent collaboration and communication skills are preferred. This is a great opportunity for recent graduates who are beginning their careers in healthcare consulting. Associates will find a positive, supportive, dynamic work environment. Avalere provides continuous opportunities to grow one’s technical and content-specific skills.
Fishawack Health is an equal opportunities employer and place where everyone is welcome. We believe success lies in our differences and only by embracing these differences can we build a healthier world together. We strongly encourage people from minority backgrounds, LGBTQIA+, parents, and individuals with disabilities to apply. If you need reasonable adjustments at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know. In your application, please feel free to note which pronouns you use (For example - she/her/hers, he/him/his, they/them/theirs, etc).